Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/purple/domains/purple-eu.org/public_html/modules/Search/action.default.php on line 17
Apr 5, 2012
PURPLE members will participate in Committee of the Regions Open Days in Brussels 8-11 October. A regional partnership led by Flanders will hold a half day workshop on: Contributing to rural urban bonds in peri-urban regions.
The partnership consists of: Communaute urbaine de Dunkerque (FR), Elche (ES), Flanders (BE), Regional Authority Frankfurt Rhein-Main (DE), Nord-Pas de Calais (FR), Randstad Region (NL), South Moravian Region (CZ), Stavanger Region (NO), Stuttgart Region (DE), Surrey County Council (UK)
Challenges for regions include:
1. The limited integration of the city with its surrounding areas and the countryside where the physical barriers are not so visible (peri-urban) but where there is a lack of functional, spatial and sectoral cooperation.
2. Managing competition for resources by urban and rural functions.
3. Setting effective policies and strategies to encourage the development of rural-urban bonds.
4. Engaging all governance levels.
5. Identifying and transferring best practice in order to stimulate better a understanding of rural-urban bonds in peri-urban areas and disseminate more effective strategies.
More details on the programme will follow.